Wednesday, June 17, 2020

MAE WEST: DIRTY BLONDE premieres on 'American Masters' PBS.

MAE WEST: DIRTY BLONDE from PBS. It premiered last Monday night (6-16-2020) on American Masters. I'm a big fan of her autobiography, "Goodness Had Nothing to Do With It" (1959). It was long after her movie career had ended with her last and most popular lead role in, "My Little Chickadee" (1940). She was way ahead of her time as a woman, a writer, an actress, and of course as sex symbol.

What I liked about this PBS documentary is that Mae West is still imitated in 2020. She has gained new fans among women and writers. She wrote her own plays for Theatre on Broadway and screenplays for films. I did not know of the TV interview she did from her home in Hollywood. It was the 1970's and they only showed tiny snippets from that interview. Her bedroom was filmed and may have included the mirrors above her bed. The interview has not been seen by the public. I would love to see it.

My favorite line of hers is, "I'm always good at night."

Mae West died in 1980 at age 87. She is still remembered and imitated in 2020.

No comments: