Saturday, April 15, 2017

'Diane Villegas' SAG-AFTRA New Mexico local board member 2017

http://www.sagaftra.org/

http://www.sagaftra.org/
By Diane Villegas
SAG-AFTRA New Mexico Local Board Member

"For any actor, getting your SAG-AFTRA card is a major moment in your career. It definitely was for me and when it did finally happen, I wanted to learn more about what the union actually does. Shortly after getting my union card, I was fortunate enough to attend the national convention and I was able to get a glimpse into what the heart of the union is and what it stands for. It was amazing to see hundreds of members gathered from around the country to focus on the business side of the industry. This was the group that shaped the contracts that we work under, the group that fought for the rights that we have for safe working conditions, competitive wages and so much more."

"After experiencing what I did at the SAG-AFTRA national convention, I knew that I had to serve the union in some capacity. By working with the SAG-AFTRA New Mexico Local Board, I feel like I am staying informed on the key issues facing actors and what is being done about them. I also feel that I am giving back to the union and community of actors that has already given so much to me. Not only that, but I also feel like I now have more of a voice in shaping the policies that will affect not just my career, but other actors as well."

"Coming from a business background, it was fascinating for me to see the inner workings of the business side of the industry and what our union is working on to improve our daily lives as actors. Working as an actor is so much more enjoyable when you consider all the work the union has done before we even step foot on set."

"If you are serious about your acting career, I would encourage all of you to get more involved — consider serving on the SAG-AFTRA New Mexico Local Board, attend membership meetings, join a New Mexico Local committee or vote on contract referendum. Just as you invest in your skills by attending classes and workshops, shouldn’t you also invest in the business side of your career as well?"

No comments: